In this video Thomas introduces printing via secure tunneling without VPN or MPLS in branch offices. That feature is called ThinPrint Secure Tunnel. In contrast to the usual communication direction, this feature offers you secure tunneling from a ThinPrint Client in any branch office to the central ThinPrint print system in the data center.
This clever design has an important advantage for you. The central ThinPrint Engine acts as a print server. It doesn’t need to know the IP addresses of the network printers located in the branch offices. In most branch offices, masked networks are used and a VPN tunnel is necessary to reach printers.
With ThinPrint, this is not necessary as the ThinPrint Secure Tunnel takes on this task, specifically for printing. Print jobs are delivered to branch offices via this tunnel and then distributed to network printers via the ThinPrint Client. A direct connection from the central ThinPrint Engine to the printers is not necessary. In addition, print data can be securely transmitted thanks to SSL encryption. This is an important feature for you because print data might contain information just as sensitive as on printed documents.
Advantages of secure tunneling without VPN at a glance:
- We put this role on any server in your environment, either on your print server or in your DMZ
- This allows you and your users to get their print jobs securely locked up before transmitting it out to the internet
- Your local on-premises print server will then unlock that print job using a secure ID and passcode
- Or you can leverage the ThinPrint Hub‘s capability to perform this unlocking action
- Ultimately, the connecting gateway allows your users to create a TCP/IP tunnel, letting your remote sites receive print jobs securely with just one port open to the internet
The Secure Tunnel is built by the ThinPrint Connection Service – a premium component of the ThinPrint Engine.